Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Steam on Linux Mint Cinnamon

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA512

There was an update to the Steam client program that broke Steam on my particular Linux installations. The UI would load but any context menus would effectively become transparent to the mouse. Basically, if you opened a drop down menu or a right-click menu, anything you clicked on in the menu would pass right through into the window below. I suppose I could give in and switch to the more mainstream Ubuntu Linux, or switch to Mac or Windows, but I am quite pleased with my Linux Mint with the Cinnamon desktop interface.

The solution is to go to Steam settings, navigate to Interface, and then flip the switch that says "Enable context menu focus compatibility mode". This seems to work on my Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon systems which allows me to not have to switch to Gnome3 or Unity.

That's it. See below for background and rambling if you choose.

Steam support said that Steam is only supported on Gnome3 and Unity interfaces. But both those interface programs have issues that prevent me from using them. The support staff were kind and polite, but had no real solution other than to switch to a supported Linux platform (Ubuntu Linux with Unity or Gnome3 interface)... but at least Steam supports some Linux installations.

While the Unity desktop looks beautiful and astonishes anyone I show it too, it's not the most stable nor is it as configurable as I would prefer... though the available settings are still plenty enough for most users.

Gnome3 is a usable interface, and it has some interesting design decisions like moving away from the traditional desktop metaphor. My issue is that it's very mouse driven, and it's not designed for users like me who grew up with traditional desktop metaphor interfaces. Although, users who grew up with tablets and phones instead of computers may not see this as a problem since they did not depend on the desktop metaphor. I just cannot get used to Gnome3 and it seems to have issues with color management which manifests as tinting my desktop a warm yellow color, pleasant to look at, easy on the eyes, but not so great for color accuracy.

For those who don't know, Linux based systems have so many desktop interfaces available because the desktop interface can be installed, removed, and swapped like any other program on Linux. Basically, if you don't like a desktop interface program, you can install a different one with only a few keystrokes... something that seems foreign to many Mac and Windows users since their desktop interface program is nearly impossible to change.

Since I could not find the solution to this issue anywhere online, I posted in here in the hope that someone else with this issue will find it. I'm not sure what causes this to happen, it seemed to start when Steam made their UI look like the image below.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iHUEARYKAB0WIQTdEHZzdRj88+sPHs2DGTsp04R9UwUCZNL/TAAKCRCDGTsp04R9
U3OwAP9U2QcEEOqvJHPhvMIZ2bh7WE+httlEYrLmnppFJErvMAEAlc+erUWAZiF/
egl55eALTfHW/VGiW6GsTLUhyvDppwg=
=xop6
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Steam settings screenshot
The problems started when they made the UI look like this, to fix it, check the switch on the bottom of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Latest Post

Steam on Linux Mint Cinnamon

Most viewed